Are you seeking a more meaningful, purposeful, and fulfilled life? Perhaps you need to get to know God!
God loves you and wants to have a personal relationship with you.
God created us to be with him. He made all of humanity to be in perfect harmony with him. God loves each and every one of us and wants to have a personal relationship with us all. You may think initiating a personal relationship with God is difficult, but it is not. You do not need to “perfect” in order to have a relationship with God, nor do you need to perform complex rituals, or read thick volumes of books about him. All you need to have is a sincere desire to have a personal relationship with God and faith that allows you to take him at his word.
What does a personal relationship with God look like?
It has attributes similar to those found in the relationships we have with family and close friends. This includes daily interaction, spending quality time together, talking, and active listening. God desires the same actions from us when we enter into a relationship with him.
How can I have personal relationship with God?
One of the most popular methods of helping people initiate a personal relationship with God is by sharing a set of scriptures from the book of Romans. These scriptures are known as The Roman Road and serve as a roadmap for getting to know God. If you follow the all the steps along The Roman Road, you’ll be ready to begin your personal relationship with God. Here’s what The Roman Road looks like:
1. For everyone has sinned and we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. (Romans 3:23)
The first thing we must do is admit that we are sinners. We must recognize that our sins separate us from God and prevent us from enjoying peace with him. In fact, no matter how good we think we are, no matter how good our intentions are, and no matter how hard we try, none of us meet God’s standards. Those sins cannot be removed by our good deeds. That’s what many people think…that if you are religious enough or nice enough you go to heaven someday. However, no amount of good deeds will ever get rid of our sins.
2. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)
Next, we must understand that the ultimate consequence of our sin is death. One day we will all experience a physical death, but if we continue to live in sin we’ll also experience a spiritual death, one that separates us from God for eternity. The only way to escape spiritual death is by accepting God’s free gift of salvation.
3. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)
It is essential for us to realize that there is not one deed we could perform that would pay for any of our sins. Nothing we have done, can do, or will do could ever be sufficient enough for us to redeem ourselves. The only way our sins could be forgiven was through a special sacrifice. Because God loves us all so much, he sent his only son, Jesus, to die on the cross in our place. Jesus sacrificed his life so our sins would be forgiven.
4. That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. (Romans 10:9-10)
Next, we must express remorse over our sins by confessing to God and believing that Jesus’ death on the cross served as the only payment for our sins.
5. For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. (Romans 10:13)
There are no religious formulas or rituals-just call on the name of the Lord! If you ready to begin a personal relationship with God, just pray this short, simple prayer.
Dear God, I admit that I am a sinner and I know that my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry and now I want to turn away from my past sinful past life. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I ask Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and guide me from this day forward. Please help me obey and to do your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.
What happens next?
- Tell someone else about your new faith in Christ.
- Join a local church where you can worship God, learn more about him, ask questions, and grow spiritually.
- Connect with other followers of Jesus and develop friendships with them.
- Spend time with God each day. Pray and read the Bible daily. When you pray, ask God to help you understand what you are reading.